Saturday, October 6, 2007

Episode 005 - Season One

Steve smiled after he answered his cellphone. It was Jed.
"Hey, are we still on for tonight?" Jed asked.
"We sure are!"
"Okay, I'm about to drop something on you; it was supposed to be a surprise but I'd rather not corner you with such a big step."
"What are you talking about?"
"Would you like to meet my mother and her husband?"
Steve thought it strange that instead of Jed asking him to meet his parents, he worded the question as meeting his mother and her husband. But who is he to judge the chocie of words his boyfriend is using? Besides, it's kind of exciting...no one ever asked him to meet the parents before. "Yes, I would like to meet your parents."
"Okay. I will pick you up at six-thirty."

Nick walked into Jed's office just as he hung up.
"There's that goofy grin again," Nick said. "I take it that you just finished talking to Steve?"
"Yeah, and, guess what? I'm taking him to meet my mother over dinner tonight."
"Oh, wow, that's is...wow...you know I think Helene is going to love him."
"You don't even know him yourself."
"And who's fault is that?"
"Why don't we all get together for drinks sometime next week?"
"Now you're talking."
"Okay, what can I do for you, Nick?"
"Uh...you know, I forgot why I came to the loft..."
"Talk about goofy."

Damien sat in his cubicle, working on his own fact checking concerning a movie star's sudden leave of abscene from 'the scene' and found that he could not stop thinking of Matt Galveston. Matt was nice enough to give him his phone number when they had a drink, and Damien had been somewhat smitten since then. He hates to admit it, but maybe Ben was right: maybe he did need a little romance in his life. After all, he was trying to change wasn't he? And if he called Matt he could always use the excuse that he wanted to do an interview with him.
Damien picked up the phone and dialed Matt's number.
"Hello?"
"Hey, Matt, this is Damien."
"Who?"
"Damien Chastain, we met the night before at Nexus."
"Oh, yeah, the entertainment guy. How's it going?"
"I'm doing fine. I wanted to know if maybe you'd be interested in having dinner some night. I mean, being new to Port Wayne, I figured you could probably use a guide."
"Hey, not a bad idea. Sure, why not?"
"How about tonight?"
"Sorry, tonight won't work. I'm busy with my new project."
Damien didn't want to sound desparate, but, damn, Matt does something to him.
"How about tomorrow night?" Matt asked him.
"Okay, that will work. How about Caverns?"
"Uh, no can do...too rich for my blood."
"My treat. I know how you documentary filmmakers live on a tight budget."
Matt gigled. "Turn down a free meal? Me, a documentary filmmaker? Never!"
Damien giggled. Then he thought that he couldn't remember the last time he felt so...giddy.

Steve was a bit nervous about meeting Jed's parents. He composed himself by imagining that it was no big deal and that he and Jed had been together for years and it was just another night with the in-laws. They pulled up to the mansion that sat on the outskirts of town and got out of the car. Steve fumbled with himself and Jed assured him that he looked fine. Jed rang the doorbell and when the door opened, a tall, demonically handsome man answered.
"Jed, its good to see you!" the man said.
Jed was non-chalant, almost vacant."Hello, Logan. This is Steve. Steve, this is my mother's husband Logan Marshall."
"Logan Marshall? Of Chilton Estates?"
"The one and the same. Its very nice to meet you, Steve." Logan said, then eyed him suspiciously.
Jed and Steve stepped into the entrance hall.
"Jed!"
Everyone turned around to see a small and elegant woman with a slight southern accent walk into the entry way..
"Mother!" Jed said and took the woman into his arms. "Its so good to see you."
"You too, my son! And who is this?"
"Mother, I would like you to meet my boyfriend, Steve Lassiter. Steve, this is my mother Helene Langton-Marshall."
Steve nervously shook Helene's hand. "Nice to meet you Mrs. Langton-Marshall."
"It's very nice to meet you, Steve. And, please, call me Helene. Come, welcome to my home..."

The thing about trying to come up with a new project when one has a bit of writer's block is that there are a thousand things to write about, but one can never quite get in tune with a starting point. Even using the tried and true exercise of writing about his surroundings sort of drove Nick nearly out of his mind. He sat inside of a coffee shop, the power in his laptop draining while he sat staring at the screen and thought about maybe searching the internet for anything. He was about to give up but thought that maybe he should give it another try. He got up from the table and went to order another coffee.
Walking up to the cashier he looked around at the patrons. His eyes landed on someone who's face was cast downward, his mind seemed focused on the notebook he was writing in. He looked familiar. Wait a minute!!! Nick walked up to the table the guy was working at.
"Matthew Galveston?"
The guy looked up. "Nick? Nick Fuller...aw shit!!"
Matt sprung up from the table and threw his arms around Nick, bring him into a deep bear hug.
"What in the hell are you doing in Port Wayne?" Nick asked.
"Uh...what are you doing here? I heard that you went to write for some magazine."
"Yes, here, for my friend Jed Langton."
"Oh, that's right. I do remember you speaking of Jed Langton. Hey, why don't you join me and we can catch up?"
"Okay. Just let me order another coffee and grab my computer..."

Jed, Steve, Helene and Logan were sitting in the study conversing over pre-dinner cocktails. The atmosphere was light and friendly. Logan appeared to be charmed, Jed thought, but why wouldn't he be? Steve is a beautiful piece of work.
"Would anyone like a refresher?" Logan asked.
"Yes, I would," Jed said. Logan walked over to the bar.
"You have a very beautiful home, Helene," Steve said.
"Thank you dear. How long have you lived in Port Wayne?"
"Only a few months. I came here from Rome."
"Yeah," Jed pitched in. "Steve is going to open up a new restaurant."
"Have you found a location yet?" Logan asked, handing Jed his scotch on the rocks.
"I have a few locations I'm looking at."
"You should allow Logan to help you," Helene said. "he not only has a talent for location but a very nice network of friends. You two talk about it. Jed, can I see you in private for a moment?"
"Sure, mother."
Jed and Helene walked into the ajoining library.
"What is it, mother?"
"Well, you know Theodora Raines?"
"Of course. What's up with her?"
"Well, she asked if I new of a private investigator. I told her that I didn't but I knew that you could provide some information."
"Okay, that should be no problem. I will just call her up and suggest someone."
"Why don't you give the information to me, dear, I mean, she might be a tad embarrassed."
A puzzled look crossed Jed's face for a second. "Sure, mother..."

"So, Steve, how long did you live in Rome?" Logan asked.
"Oh, since I was about eightteen."
"Rome is a truly beautiful city. I've been once or twice myself."
"Oh, really?'
Just then, Jed and Helene returned to the study.
"I do apologize for the interruption," Helene said. "And I think dinner is just about ready..."

No comments: